It was John Stott, the outstanding Christian leader, teacher and author, who coined the term ‘double listening‘. It’s the practice of listening on the one hand to the modern world in order to understand the questions, challenges and issues that it raises as well, and on the other hand to the teachings and narrative of the historic Christian faith, in order to develop a relevant, engaged and authentic perspective on the issues of our day.
I have spent much of my life trying to build a bridge between the worlds of modern cutting-edge science, technology and healthcare and the world of the historic Christian faith. It’s a task which is complex, challenging and ever-changing. But I am convinced it’s an essential activity if Christian believers are to be informed and engaged in the rapidly changing worlds of science and technology
In addition to my medical activities I am a senior researcher at the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, in Cambridge, focussing particularly on ethical, social and theological issues raised by advances in AI and robotics.
Along with my son, the journalist Tim Wyatt, I also run a podcast called Matters of Life and Death, which seeks to help Christians navigate and respond to issues in healthcare, ethics, science, technology and more. Find out more and listen to the latest episodes here.
You can find documents, talks and videos on a variety of topics concerning science and the Christian faith which I have uploaded below:
- Lecture and Q&A: What is a person? Insights from neuroscience and Christianity
- Talk: Ethical issues within emerging medical technologies – Responding from a faith perspective
- Lecture: What does it mean to be human? God, science and human identity
- Talk: What is a person? Personhood at the intersection of neuroscience, identity and Christian faith
- Lecture: Who cares if we live? When religion meets cutting-edge science at the start and end of life
- Talk: Great lies of our time – Can science explain everything?
- Talk: Science, modernity and the post-human
My book Matters of Life and Death also frequently touched upon my reflections on life as a doctor and medical researcher who is also a Christian.
I’m a regular speaker at churches and Christian conferences on this important topic. Go to my events page to find out if I am speaking near you, or click here to contact me if you would like to book me to speak at your event.